Which hard skills and soft skills should embedded software developers have?
Embedded software developers must have very good programming skills. A degree in computer sciences definitely is a plus. However, programmers with relevant skills and experience can also start a career in embedded software engineering. To be a successful embedded software developer, it is essential to continuously develop further and to always stay up-to-date with the latest technology.
In addition, an interest in electrical engineering, certain soft skills, such as team spirit, and foreign language skills are important.
- An academic degree in a field related to computer sciences or automation technology or a similar qualification
- Technical know-how and an interest in the interfaces between hardware and software
- Excellent hardware programming skills
- Knowledge of operating systems
- Experience with databases
- A target-oriented way of working
- A proactive approach